Netflix was founded by Marc Randolph and Reed Hastings in 1997 in Scotts Valley, California. Randolph was also the co-founder of a computer mail order company and Hastings was the founder of Pure Software, which he had sold for $700 million.
The idea of starting the Netflix Company was initiated by Hastings when he was forced to pay $40 in overdue fines after returning Apollo 13 well past its due date. The Netflix developed their own website and launched it on August 29, 1997 with only 925 works available for rent. By 2005, there were 35,000 different film titles available, and Netflix shipped almost 1 million DVDs out every day. Netflix also developed and maintained personalized video-recommendation system based on customer ratings and reviews.
To separate their DVD rentals and streaming services, on September 18, 2011 Netflix announced its intention to make DVD home media rental service as an independent subsidiary company called Qwikster. But the plan got dropped due to some reason and Netflix said they would not create Qwikster for DVD rental service. Today Netflix employees over 2000 employees and has a revenue of US$3.61 billion.
Jobs at Netflix distribution center:
Warehouse Operations Supervisor:
The key responsibility of a warehouse operations supervisor is to take control and manage the smooth working of warehouse. Other key duties include
- Ensure daily production requirements and goals are met
- Supervise and resolve warehouse operations issues
- Implement new processes and better ways to improve production
- Provide training for warehouse associates
- Effectively communicate with management staff and technicians
- Mentor machine operators and ensure proficiency with process for equipment
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required
- Experience managing workers in a high-volume
- Strong mechanical background and ability to troubleshoot automated machinery
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
DVD Distribution center – Senior Manager
The Senior Manager impacts the success of the company by effectively managing employees to ensure that Netflix customers receive the best service experience that will help to retain them
Some of his other responsibilities include
- Analyzing production data and understanding Process Management, Inventory Control, and Quality Assurance
- Training employees on all aspects of operations
- Keep track of production numbers on a monthly, weekly and daily basis and report it to top management
- Communicate with employees regarding quality goals and expectations
- 10 plus years of managerial experience in any distribution center along with a college degree
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Should have good judgment and common sense approach to business
- Proven work experience with all levels of employees and management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
The following benefits are offered to the Netflix employees
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plans
- 15 days a year of paid time off
- Company paid life insurance
- Short and long term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Netflix subscription and many more
Online Job Application:
To apply for a job in Netflix Distribution Center, visit the company’s official website http://jobs.netflix.com/ . If you are new to the website, you will be asked to create your job profile before applying. Incase if you already have a username and password, you can login to the website directly and search for your desired job at the preferred location. After finalizing on the job to apply, select the particular job and click apply button.
The Operations Manager earns about $50k -$90k per month whereas Supervisor gets around $15 – $20 per hour. Similarly Senior Managers are paid $100 – $200 per month.
The employees working in Netflix are satisfied with their company as 50% of them are willing to recommend the company to their friends. And 71% approve of the CEO.
Some of the pros and cons of working in Netflix are
- Good Compensation and perks
- Very fast growing company
- Friendly place to work
- Freedom to express own ideas
- High work pressure and you will need to show your best performance every time to secure your place in the company
- Less social interactions
- No work life balance
- Very little career advancement opportunities