Macy’s was found by Rowland Hussey Macy in 1858 at New York. He opened a single dry goods store named “R. H. Macy & Co.”. The company’s first day of business saw whooping sales totaled US$11.08, equal to $298.41 today. As the business grew, Macy’s expanded its operation opening more departments in US.
During 1875, Macy took on two partners, Robert M. Valentine a nephew; and Abiel T. La Forge, who was the husband of a cousin. Macy died two years later due to an inflammatory kidney disease. La Forge died the following year, and Valentine died in 1879. In 1895, the company was acquired by Isidor Straus and his brother Nathan Straus, who had previously held a license to sell goods in the Macy’s store.
Today, Macy’s, Inc. operates more than 800 department stores and furniture galleries in 45 states with corporate offices in Cincinnati and New York. The company also operates 40 Bloomingdale’s stores in 12 states.
Jobs at Macy’s distribution center
The primary responsibility of the Logistics Manager is to manage the movement of shuttle trailers and the merchandise between store to DC and DC to store. Some of the other key responsibilities include
- Monitor and conduct daily audits for mis-directed merchandise
- Train and provide leadership for team associates
- Motivate employees to meet daily productivity and service requirements
- Ensure logistics safety policy and procedures
- Participate in employee relations and six sigma activities
- Communicate with the store and sales person to fill requirements
- Minimum of 3 years prior supervisory experience
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both oral and written
- Knowledge of Lotus Notes, MS Word and Excel
- Ability to work independently and as a team
The key responsibility of a material handler is to receive, pick, and ship merchandise in a safe and accurate manner. Other responsibilities include
- Operate heavy equipment such as balers, forklift, etc. if required
- Conduct supply and material handling, including replenishment
- Perform transfer binning process as needed
- Follow security & safety guidelines
- Perform other related duties or assignments as required
- Ability to lift 50lbs repetitively
- Must be trained/licensed to operate powered equipment as assigned
- Flexible and adaptable to change
- Medical and Dental Programs
- Live Healthy Wellness Program
- Disability Income Protection
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401(k) Retirement Investment Plan
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Leave Sharing
- Commuter & Transit Benefits
- Additional Shopping Discounts
- Recognition Programs and many more
Online Job Application:
To apply for a job in Macy’s Distribution Center, visit the company’s website http://www.macysjobs.com/Apply. First time visitors will be prompted to create their job profile before applying. The returning visitors can sign in with their username and password. Once logged in, you can search for the desired job in the preferred locations. After deciding on the job role to apply, select the particular job and click on the apply button.
The manager earns about $35k -$70k per month whereas associate gets around $8 – $12 per hour. Similarly part-time sales associates are paid $7 – $10 per hour.
The employees working in Macy’s are OK with their company as 48% of them are willing to recommend the company to their friends. And 65% Approve of the CEO.
Some of the pros and cons of working in Macy’s are
- Good place to start the retail career
- Consistent opportunities for career advancement
- Friendly place to work
- Good approachable management
- Low pay for tough work
- Long working hours including nights and weekends
- Less number of holidays