OfficeMax ranks #3 among the top office products retailer in North America with about 1000 stores across US, Mexico and in Puerto Rico. Some of the OfficeMax branded products include papers, pens, organizers, furniture’s and a wide range of office supplies. They also provide printing and document services for offices.
OfficeMax was founded on April 1, 1988 by Bob Hurwitz and Michael Feuer in Cleveland, Ohio. Hurwitz served as the chairman and CEO and Feuer was the president and COO of the company. By 1988, OfficeMax opened its first retail store in Mayfield Heights, Ohio. In 1993, Hurwitz left the company and Feuer became the new chairman and CEO of the company.
OfficeMax grew by acquisition; first on their list was Office World which was acquired in November 1990 followed by acquiring Office Square stores from Kmart in the same year. OfficeMax acquired five sites from Highland Superstores in 1992. One of the largest acquisitions of OfficeMax was taking over BizMart from Intelligent Electronics in 1993.
By 1995, OfficeMax stood as one bunch of companies doing business through internetMCI. The company developed its regional delivery centers and invested in its super-regional distribution centers. From 2001 OfficeMax started closing their poor performing stores in some regions and in 2003, the company was acquired by Boise Cascade Office Products Corporation, who later rebranded themselves OfficeMax.
Jobs at OfficeMax distribution centers:
The primary responsibility of the distribution manager is to manage the movement of inventory along with the maintenance of the warehouse. Some of the other key responsibilities are
- Communicate regularly with the inbound/outbound managers to ensure all the shipments are processed properly
- Monitor and improve productivity and quality of service delivered
- Work together with all the vendors to set the delivery time and ensure schedule efficiency
- Train the distribution supervisors and associates to develop their skill sets
- Plan and manage the warehouse space accordingly
- Ensure safe work environment with effective safety training for all associates
- Bachelor’s degree in logistics or business along with minimum 5 years of experience in operations management to include 3 – 4 years in supply chain management and/or supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook Knowledge of Warehouse Management System
Lead Distribution Specialist
The primary responsibility of Lead Distribution Specialist is to direct and train all the associates in their daily operation as assigned by their departments. Some of the other responsibilities include
- Motivate and train associates in performing multiple jobs in distribution center
- Monitor warehouse management systems and usage of equipment
- Monitor and ensure safe work practice among all employees in warehouse
- Should take part in Tier 1 meetings, Customer interactions and interactions with top management
- Ensure positive team spirit and attitude in all associates
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years warehouse experience with at least 3 of those years with OfficeMax
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Healthcare Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- The OfficeMax Savings Plan
- Disability Benefits
- Your Time Off
- Life and Accident Insurance Benefits
Online Job Application:
To apply for a job in OfficeMax Distribution Center, visit the company’s official website https://careers.officemax.com . You will have to search for desired job role in preferred locations with the suitable keywords. If you have finalized on the job posting to apply, select the job and click on the apply button present at the top of the webpage. First time visitors will be prompted to create their job profile with accurate information.
Distribution Center Supervisor is paid around $48k – $52k per month whereas Assistant Store Manager gets about $32k – $48k per month. Similarly all the associates working in OfficeMax are paid in the range of $7 – $10 per hour.
Most of the employees are not satisfied with the company with only 34% of the employees willing to recommend the company to their friends. And less than 38% approve of the CEO, Ravi K. Saligram.
Listed are the pros and cons of working in OfficeMax
- Flexible work schedule
- Good pay for students
- Lots of standing hours
- Long weekends
- Work on holidays