The history of Dell rolls back to 1984, when Michael Dell created PC’s Limited while he was a student of the University of Texas at Austin. By 1985, the dorm-room company produced the first computer of its own design (the Turbo PC), which was sold for $795. In 1986, Lee Walker, a 51-year-old venture capitalist joined as COO of Dell to serve as Michael’s mentor and implemented his ideas for improving the company.
During 1988, the company began to expand its business globally and changed its name to Dell Computer Corporation. Lee Walker retired in 1990 due to some health issues, and Michael hired Morton Meyerson, former CEO of Electronic Data Systems to transform the company into a fast-growing billion-dollar enterprise. In 1992, Dell was listed among the world’s 500 largest companies, making Michael Dell as the youngest CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Today the company stands as one of the largest technological corporations in the world, employing over 1 lakh people worldwide.
Jobs at Dell distribution center:
The primary responsibility of distribution manager is to manage all the inbound/outbound movement of merchandise. Some of the other key responsibilities are to
- Train and enhance the skillsets of team associates
- Manage and ensure the proper delivery/pick up of shipments
- Ensure all the associates follow safety policy and procedures
- Motivate employees to meet daily productivity limits
- Regularly communicate with the store and sales person to fill requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 4+ years of leadership experience
- Excellent problem solving skills required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
The primary responsibility of a material handler is to handle power equipment’s such as balers, forklift, etc for loading/unloading the merchandise from trailers.
- Counts, weighs or measures incoming or outgoing shipments
- Examines incoming shipments for damage or shortages and corresponds with shipper to resolve it
- Ensures proper packaging of all the inbound/outbound goods
- Perform other related duties or assignments as required
- Trained in operating forklift or other materials handling equipment
- Ability to lift heavy packages and objects
- Knowledge of safety practices
The following benefits are offered to the employees working in Dell
- Adoption assistance
- Childcare discounts
- College coach
- Commuter benefits
- Dell merit scholarships
- E-Deals at Dell
- Educational assistance program
- Emergency dependent backup care
- Emergency business travel assistance
- Employee purchase program
- Fitness discounts
- Free annual health screenings
- Flexwork solutions
- Employee referral program and many more
Online Job Application:
To apply for a job in Dell Distribution Center, visit the company’s official website http://www.jobs.dell.com. First time visitors will have to create their job profile before applying for the job. The returning visitors can sign in with their username and password. Once finalizing on the job to apply, select the particular job and click on the apply button.
The project manager earns about $64k -$120k per month whereas programmer analyst gets around $45 – $90 per month. Similarly associates are paid $7 – $15 per hour.
The employees working in Dell are satisfied with their company as 59% of them are willing to recommend the company to their friends. And 69% approve of the CEO.
Some of the pros and cons of working in Dell are
- Consistent opportunities for career advancement
- Good work life balance
- Friendly place to work
- Information sharing is very fast across management
- Flexible work timings
- Low pay
- Lack of innovation
- Career advancements are tough